Thursday, February 20, 2014

[ slipcover reveal! ]

SO, promising yesterday that I would reveal my slipcover today did the trick to get this project completed {it was just the kick in the pants I needed!}


This was a tricky project ~ much more complicated than my club chair covers due to those darn roll arms ~ the thing I love so much about this sofa. But I managed to get them fitted pretty well...



For those of you interested in how I achieved those arms, here are a few details to give you a bit of an idea...


Take the inside arm panel and drape it around the arm towards the outside. Start creating the arm folds {remember you are doing this inside out so you need to make the folds facing up so that they will face down when you turn it right-side out}. Take your time as you want these as even as possible since they are a key feature of this sofa.


Once you have the folds smoothly positioned, hand baste in place {I added two rows of hand basting to help hold things in place, then trimmed some of the excess fabric}.


Pin on side panel while positioning the piping in between {take your time and use lots of pins ~ this is the most difficult part to get right}. Don't forget to run the piping down to the floor!


Flip right-side out and check for fit. Congratulate yourself for getting the worst part done ~ have a cookie!


Spread out seat back and seat bottom piece {I used one big piece} and start pinning around the arm, clipping to get a smooth fit.


Sew around both arms and check for fit before trimming excess fabric from seams.


Cut a piece for front skirt panel, pin along front edge and fit along sides to join with piping. Sew and check for fit.


Similar to the arms, pin fabric around the top corners, forming smooth folds. Baste if you feel necessary to hold in place. 

Now attach your back panel {decide how you want the slipcover to open/close ~ I decided on a centre zipper with a flap ~ you could choose a side seam zipper, buttons, ties, etc}. Once you have completed your open/close detail, pin back panel in place, sew and check for fit. Remove all basting threads.

Pin up hem, measuring how much leg you want to show. Sew. {You may want to zigzag all your seams just to ensure they won't unravel when you wash your cover} Turn right-side out and smooth in place. Add all your covered seat cushions and...

Done!



It feels great to have this project finally complete ~ I've had it on my list for 2.5 years since we bought this sofa! I think that's it for slipcovering for a while! {To see my tutorial for my leather club chair slipcovers, click here}.

lisa

7 comments:

Pinecone Camp said...

Looks fantastic! I'd love to have your sewing skills. Hope all's well!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Wowza!! You did an amazing job! The sofa looks beautiful!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I am insanely impressed! I can only imagine the amount of time and patience it took. Can't wait to see the reveal - it looks like perfection from what I can see!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow I'm impressed it looks great! I wish I could even attempt that its way beyond my skills! Have a wonderful weekend!

Meeling said...

Looks great! I love the way the arms came out.

Barbara Matson said...

from someone who has made a few slipcovers - bravo!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Sooooo good!! Impressed, as always, by your mad skills. I can hardly sew a button!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails